Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kitchen du Jour

Hello everyone!  My home tour is now taking you to the (almost) smallest room in the house-the kitchen!  So those of you with your sprawling, gorgeous, farmhouse kitchens, eat your hearts out! :)    Lucky for me, since I don't like to cook, and my hubby and I love to eat out most of the time anyways, it's no big deal...but I do find it strange that the front of our house is so open and big, while the kitchen is a tiny room in the back of the house.
This view is from the dining room into the kitchen.  We did manage to find probably the smallest butcher block ever made (at an auction) to put in the center and use as a 'mini' island!  We put up stainless steel shelves from Ikea over a small table that holds our microwave, and I've kept the black and white theme going.  Some old signs, a vintage wire basket to hold napkins, a little of this and that...
My friend Carol (it's really nice to have such talented friends!) made the little curtains for  the window above my sink and for the back door. Aren't they adorable?
 To the right of the sink I hung this fun menu board that I found at a barn sale (I added the 'chow down' :) The little spoon and fork cabinet pulls were there when we moved in-cute!

Going to the left, 'behind' the kitchen, there is a short 'hallway' where there is a half bath, the stairs to the basement, and then it continues on into the office again.

This is one of my most favorite pieces ever-an old time card clock! You wouldn't like me very much if I told you how cheap this was at my beloved flea market (hint-less than $20!)  The guy said it came out of a factory in Pennsylvania...I don't care, I just love it!
Well, my kitchen may be microscopic, but I've still stamped it with my own, quirky style!
Have a wonderful weekend!  I'm linking to these wonderful parties:
                                           Twigg Studios
                                           The Tablescaper 
                                           i should be mopping the floor 
                                           my 1929 charmer
                                           Debbiedoo's 
                                           You are talking too much
                                           Liz Marie Blog 
                                           Alderberry Hill 
                                           Boogieboard Cottage
                                           Southern Hospitality 
                                           The Dedicated House
                                           Jennifer Rizzo 
                                           Kathe with an E
                                           Knick of Time 
                                           Coastal Charm
                                           My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                                           The Ironstone Nest 
                                           Faded Charm 
                                           The Farmhouse Porch 
                                           Primp 
                                           Ivy and Elephants 
                                           Restore Interiors 
                                           Family Home and Life 
                                           Savvy Southern Style 
                                           A Delightsome Life 
                                           No Minimalist Here 
                                           The Shabby Creek Cottage 
                                           The Brambleberry Cottage 
                                           Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen 
                                           Homespun Happenings 
                                           The Charm of Home
                                           Rooted in Thyme

55 comments:

  1. Wow, your kitchen is lovely and you have displayed some awesome 'junk'. Great pieces and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Menu board. What a great score and gives such character to your kitchen. So cute in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job with your space in the kitchen. I love your "quirky style" and the way you have utilized some great finds! May I ask which flea market you attend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is as fabulous as the rest of your house, love all your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is delightfully cute - just like everything in your house! I would love to know where you got those us standard measuring cups? the upside down ones? Are they old or is it something I could go purchase somewhere??!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "tiny" kitchen is adorable!! I love your measuring cups and the sifter!! Did you purchase them new or find them at a flea market? And the menu board is simply incredible!! What a great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does not have to be big to be beautiful! And yours is just that ~Beautiful~ with lots of charm!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man! I LOVE the island, LOVE the time card holder, and LOVE the menu board!

    Amazing- yet not surprising coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another room full of fun finds!! We have a little kitchen too...I have big kitchen "dreams"...and then I wake up and remember I'd have to clean more if I had more :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by my blog. I LOVE your kitchen, the time clock is totally cool.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your kitchen Susan... just like the other rooms on the tour so far! I especially like the menu board, I have one just like it!! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done an amazing job at making your kitchen sooo charming, Susan! LOVE, Love, Love all your unique vintage pieces to personalize your kitchen.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same problem in my house. Huge living room, dining room, bedrooms, closets and an inky-dinky kitchen in the back of the house! Unfortunately, we do love to cook and there's barely any space. You've managed to cram it with loves of cool items and character, though. Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the kitchen too!Cant wait for more pics of your house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your kitchen. I have never had big kitchens...but I never felt I needed one. I do cook, but it is not my favorite thing. I love the time clock...I remember clocking in on one similar!! I know, I'm old!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your small kitchen is filled with vintage charm! I love your timecard board and your fun curtains, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Susan! Your kitchen is so pretty. I love so many touches and decor that you have shared with us. Thanks for joining the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! I'm so happy that I found you awhile back. I am enjoying your home tour so so much. LOVE your cute kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan! You have some fabulous vintage things...definitely unique...LOVE it!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the time clock! Great find and for a steal! Love the way you used loving~trophy cups for spoon holder...and you have a nice friend (the curtains are adorable!)...come see what I've been doing over at my blog palace....I am a loyal follower! tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my - drop dead gorgeous! I don't even know where to start....love it all! A happy new follower and visitor from the Newbie Party over at Debbie's. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. It may be small but it says BIG STATEMENT!! LOVE IT! I am actually adding a little industrial to my shabby look! I love mixing...and my HUBBY thanks me! LOL! From one sweetie to another~~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Less is definitely MORE....MUCH MORE. I love your quirky, adorable, fun, delightful, charming, unusual style! Love the use of metal signage:o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE your kitchen! You have fixed it up adorably!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all your signs - great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What is that saying...the greatest of things, come in small packages....Your kitchen is beautiful...so many gorgeous and unique finds...your kitchen is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK....
    Now you've got me hooked on your junk.
    I am not only a new follower.....but I have also signed up as a subscriber!
    What a lot of great $&@!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Small packages don't mean great things! Maybe when they built the house the woman of the house didn't like cooking either? Loving your signs, vintage clock and the curtains your friend made! You kitchen may be small, but she sure is pretty! She really carries a punch! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best - you helped to make it a great partay!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such warm kitchen~ love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your the wonderful tour of your kitchen! It is adorable. Your newest follower from Debbie's Newbie party. :)

    Kathy@ http://lifeonlakeshoredrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that menu board! What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your kitchen.....I want to see close-ups of everything! Seriously....it looks like it should be in a magazine!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your style so much! Can you come decorate my whole house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is such a well appointed kitchen. Beautiful kitchen! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Wishing you a grand week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  35. it's all very awesome, susan! love your curtains and the time clock, esp!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your kitchen! You have certainly made it into a perfect room! And, you are so right...that numbered piece is just great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I need that mini island, I have a small kitchen too. Lovve the chow down sign. And your black and white color theme is very fresh looking. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh wow!! Even if your kitchen is small, you have it set up better than a lot of huge kitchens I've seen. You did so much with the space you have. I'm so jealous of that menu board and the clock. Is that a time card clock thingie from the factory? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great things come in small packages!
    Love it all!
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your kitchen is really cute, and I LOVE that old time card clock! BUT...I might have you beat on microscopic sized kitchens. The house we lived in before this one was an old Florida Cracker house on a cattle ranch and the kitchen was definitely an after thought. I only had about a foot of counter space...literally. You can check it out here: http://thecozyoldfarmhouse.blogspot.com/2012/05/life-2-bb-2-years-before-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Susan,
    I love your home & your kitchen is no exception:). You have a way of seemlessly incorporating vintage pieces into your home, it is original and beautiful! Have a great day!Jen

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would stay and stare at all the cool stuff you have but I have to go and mow the lawn. Good thing because jealousy is setting in after only a few moments enjoying your precious kitchen. Those signs are the best! And that time clock thingy - give me a break. That wasn't kind to tell us that's all you paid! Seriously, how do you score so many great signs?! I've been looking forever around here and not a one can be found. Love your kitchen and it looks quite large compared to mine. You have filled it to the full with personality!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for coming by and leaving me a fun note at Quirky Vistas. I'm sticking by my jealousy. You know... the grass is always greener and all that. "The junk is always cooler..." might be a more appropriate way of saying it. :) Your have great junk taste!
      Liz

      Delete
  43. Very cute! Love your little details. I want to paint my cupboards white and have a black and white theme too. I love the Time card Board you found! Good ole PA:) Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's simply beautiful. Love the color combination:)

    Hopping by and following your lovely blog (Twitter and Pinterest).

    The Quiet Mom blogging @ Spaghetti with Meatballs Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love your warm and cozy kitchen! It is filled with personality and charm, just like the rest of your gorgeous home. Thanks so much for linking it with us at WIW.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my, you have some fun things in that darling kitchen. It may be small, but it packs a punch! Love, the menu board and I am so jealous of your time card cabinet. What a find! Love having you share with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I loved the tour of all your wonderful pieces. I love that old time card clock. What a great find!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  48. i just ADORE your kitchen! so many delightful details! found you by way of "No Minimalist Here" and happy I ddi! I am your newest follower...nice to meet you! ')
    ~*~michelle~*~

    ReplyDelete
  49. Such a cute kitchen! I found your blog via Sherry's featuring you over at "No Minimalist Here". Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love all of your found decorations! Great style! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  51. Lovely kitchen. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete
  52. I spotted the time card holder before you gave it a place of it's own. I love the different measuring cups and pitchers on your shelves and those curtains are very sweet. I have also enjoyed finding your glass jars and scoops in the different areas of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The main functions of a kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to complete related tasks such as dishwashing.ge fridge water dispenser t working

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!