Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lighter Summer Mantel


(Thank you to Lavender Garden Cottage and Rooted in Thyme for featuring this post!)
Hi, everyone!  Hope you're having a great week!
I just realized that I've never shown you my 'summer' mantel.  I kept the urns and the candle sticks that I used in the spring vignette here; I just lightened it up a bit.


My sweet hubby came in from outside one day and said "I have something for you."  He had been working in the yard and gathered me a pile of sticks!  We laughed because I was just as happy as if he'd brought me a  bouquet of flowers!  Does he know me or what?


So I immediately thought to add them to my tarnished urns. Kind of an organic arrangement...


This fantastic old barn door was sent to me from Kris at Junk Chic Cottage.  I've admired hers, so she found this one for me-what a friend! :)  I adore its chippy goodness!!


I've recently begun collecting Madonnas.  I added some dried lavender to this one and placed her in the center of my vignette.  I love her simple elegance!


A couple of Dundee Marmalade Jars and a pair of mercury glass candlesticks, and my mantel is complete!


A couple weeks ago I fell in love with this chippy egg basket. 


It's now holding some of my favorite decor books on the hearth.


So there you have it-my simple summer mantel!


Have a fantastic day!


I'm linking to these great parties:  The Farmhouse Porch (The Scoop)
                                                    Lavender Garden Cottage
                                                    Ivy and Elephants
                                                    Timewashed
                                                    Have a Daily Cup of Mrs.Olsen
                                                    Rooted in Thyme
                                                    Dorothy Sue and Millie B's Too
                                                    Common Ground

32 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Another beautiful vignette. Love this one. The barn door looks great!!!! Ha Ha about Keith giving you the sticks!!!! He does really know you!!! Just looking at your summer mantel makes me smile. Love all it's soft chippy goodness. Have a great week my friend.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of the mantel. You have such a wonderful knack for display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mantel is lovely! I like that Madonna too. My favorite is the chippy egg basket! It is a great place to keep those important books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely mantle... I have several egg baskets. I love them! I worked hard for two that were in my parents blackberry bushes! Enjoy your day! Cute story about the sticks. I would of been delighted also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I love a neutral mantel with texture. Too funny about your husband bringing you sticks! I have saved some in my basement though since good sticks for decoration can be hard to find sometimes. LOL! Love the chippy wood piece that Kris gave you! Lucky you to receive that. That was so nice of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story of the sticks! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful mantel Susan. I especially love the chippy door... it makes a great backdrop.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the mixture of textures, sparklies, and chippiness on your mantel, Susan!! You had me laughing about your husband's gift from the yard!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving your chippy door with the beauty of the lavender and mercury glass candlesticks!!! Huge fan of all.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. My DH does things like that for me. They are more precious than a diamond ring in my books.
    I have the same book and I just love it. I also have an egg basket - my parents actually used it when they had a poultry farm back in the day. I could never figure out what to do with it.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple and so elegant and charming. Who knew branches could look so good. What a sweet thing for you hubby to do:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's all lovely Susan! And I'd be delighted with the sticks too! My hubby usually asks me if he trims something if I 'need' any of it before he trashes it! Great to have guys that 'get' us isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that barn door that Kris sent you...how so very thoughtful of her!!!...the perfect piece for your mantel...and those "sticks" are great...so you can look at your mantel and think of two very special people who helped you create it!...Has to just make you smile!...Beautiful Susan..and so love the Madonna too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your chippy barn door that Kris sent you. Love your Summer mantel...so pretty. Cute story about the sticks and they do look great on your mantel.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's not to love? The Madonna is perfect. And I like how you flanked the mantle with those sticks in the urns! It really does lend an organic feel. Your man knows how to pick sticks for sure. :) Also, Kris is a sweetheart.

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I like the door as the backdrop, it brings everything together. I had to laugh about the sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great! Your mantel is lovely! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely vignette! Perfect! Visiting from Cottage Style party!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Home has such Serenity and Beauty, what a Restful, Restorative and Inviting Nest you have Created there. I'm totally having Vintage Suitcase Envy when I spied the Divine stack in the background! *Winks*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhh, this is a GREAT mantel...good job!!
    I also LUV those stacked suitcases I see in that other room...see..I peek around corners into other rooms...hahhhaa....lOVE THIS POST...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! The weathered wood backdrop is wonderful to showcase the urns, crocks and that beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary with and lavender! Just gorgeous! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the variety and texture, but my favorite thing is the part about the sticks! Sweet Keith. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect summer mantel...the Madonna is such a peaceful touch. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how this is so stylized and perfect in such a unique and personal way. It's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! I would love for you to share at my weekly link party - Clever, Crafty & Creative at Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too....

    I'm your newest follower and love all you do!!

    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your mantel is lovely! Your Madonna planter really fits in perfectly. I just came over from Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson and am having fun looking at your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice vignette! I like your style. I also pinned one!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  28. Simple yet elegant Susan. I love the chippy door! What a sweet friend Kris is. Hubby did good with the sticks. Thanks for sharing at SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. Susan, Congrats! You'll be featured this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Beautiful vignette! Have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your madonna. This collection is going to be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. marble fireplaces

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!