Saturday, September 27, 2014

Saturday Spotlight: Tina from What We Keep

Hi, everyone!   Kris from Junk Chic Cottage and I wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before.   So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.

Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs.  You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Kris's and my blog. 

      

Today my guest is a fun blogger named Tina from What We Keep.  Tina has a wicked sense of humor, and she's not afraid to use it! :) On her blog you might see a project that she's working on, or pics of her furry family.
Please sit back, relax, and enjoy getting to know Tina better!


Hi, I'm Tina from What We Keep.
I'm so happy to be here at Susan's today!
In this series I am supposed to tell you a bit about myself, so please try to remain awake and alert.
You might just miss something important.
Like that my shoe size is a 7.5.-
or that I haven't conquered my not-so-secret addiction to dill pickle chips.
Or that I hoard mulling spices.
I do.

I'm a southern girl from Austin, Texas.
I spent much of my childhood running through the woods and along the 
limestone cliffs of the Texas Hill Country.
The creeks were my playground, I read books on the branches 
of huge oak trees and I liked to play Jungle Woman with my best friend.
This involved making a wardrobe from giant elephant ears found growing on the side of her house.
We created our  jungle homes from whatever we could find.
I had very early DIY tendencies. Please don't hold this Jungle Woman business against me. And if you didn't create outfits out of plants, I don't think we can be real friends. So, moving forward...
I have been married for almost 30 years
and WOW it seems crazy to see that written down! LOL
We have three grown sons and two dogs- we recently lost our Corgi, Henry.
Here we are....Mr. and Mrs. Magoo.
Our boys are now men...hmmm, sort of.
And they never let me take their photo anymore.
Can you guess who poses for me now?
 If you are already familiar with my blog, you know that I love animals and 
generally tend to gravitate towards woodsy and animal themed projects.
 I spend a lot of time with a camera in my hands.
It's my quiet time and I love it.
Fall is my favorite time of year and once the temps drop, 
I'm ready for pumpkins and open windows.
Living in Texas, it's one of the best treats of the year in my book!
It's one of my favorite times to make things, too.
Something about the colors and smells and the crisp air
just gets me all tingly inside.
Nature girl...that's me.
I suffer from pumpkin love.
I have become very interested in rescue dogs in the last few years and 
make it a point to contribute to the wonderful rescues and fosters
that work so tirelessly to help pups in need. It's a cause that is very near and dear to my heart.
We are in the process of adopting and hope to add a big boy named Sully
to our fur herd very soon.
If you don't know me, I do machine embroidery and recently opened a shop
that I had to put on hold almost immediately when I cut my thumb down to the bone
by shattering a glass garden globe in my hands.
Did I mention that I'm a spaz?
As soon as I have healed, I'll be back in business!
You can find The Keeping Room HERE
I love my  Texas home, but I love the San Diego area- 
this photo is at La Jolla Cove and one of my favorite places to just sit and be.
My dream home would be a cottage on Coronado Island.
Give me a bicycle, my hubby and my dogs and I can imagine
a very happy life there enjoying a slower pace and leading a simpler life.
One of my other favorite places is Asheville, NC.
This photo is at Chimney Rock in winter...it snowed later that day and 
the Blue Ridge Pkwy was closed due to weather, 
but I hope we can get back up there and continue exploring the area.
Yes, I do believe I could live in North Carolina.
Two coasts.  Totally different, but I would be hard pressed to choose!
Random crazy skydiving class photo for your entertainment.  ;)
I also love collecting all sorts of things.
I share some of them on the blog and love learning about what other bloggers collect, too.
I hope you'll stop by and visit!
A big thanks to Susan and Kris for inviting me to be a part of their Saturday Spotlight series! Happy Fall, Y'all!

Tina, thanks so much for sharing!  I love the heart that you have for animals!
Please visit her at What We Keep then head to Kris's blog to read about Gee from Simply Me (Designs by Gee.)
Have a fantastic day!

36 comments:

  1. How warm and beautiful your arrangements are! I so admire your rescue work -- my cat-girl is a rescue, too. It's the best way, I think -- and they pay you back with extra love! What a pleasure to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie!
      Rescue animals certainly do give extra love. :)

      Delete
  2. Even though I only recently learned you are a spaz, it just makes me love you even more now Tina! You are truly one of the dearest people in the blog world and I'm glad to know you. Your wicked sense of humor and your talented creations are always refreshing and I can't believe you didn't share your latest project here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danni Banani. I'm sure I'll bang into something or take a tumble this weekend. Just for you...because I love you so much. :)

      Delete
  3. Tina, I did learn something new, something blue, something borrowed, no, wait that is something else entirely. I have stood on that exact place on Chimney Rock! I love the support you give to animal rescue groups, love your photography, love your vignettes, and love your embroidery. (Hope that thumb heals quickly!) Like Danni, I am surprised the bats did not come with you. Susan, Tina is wonderful and witty and a great blogging buddy to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Chimney Rock...what a gorgeous view. Thank you for your sweetness, Donna.
      P.S. The bats had to stay behind, I didn't want to scare Susan's readers. ;)

      Delete
  4. i'm not a decorator or vintagey stuff person, but i love ms. wicked-sense-of-humor magoo and her pups. and her love of skirls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a refreshing change of pace, it's always fun to visit Tina's blog, because you never know what she'll have up her sleeve to share with us! Her posts can make me laugh or even bring tears to my eyes. She is just as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina is a true lady. True ladies know how to cuss and remain beautiful when they do so. And that photo of of Bruce sniffing the flower, T.D.C. (too darn cute) as well as her handsome boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Bliss. That's my favorite pic of Brucie. It's from the first day we met.
      I was smitten.

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much for having me as the spotlight this week, Susan.
    It was fun. :)
    I hope you and Kris have a great time next week.
    We'll all be waiting for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Susan for introducing Tina on your spotlight. Tina I found your introduction an enjoyable read and I'm heading over to your blog to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vera! I'm so happy to have discovered you and your blog.

      Delete
  9. Another "new to me" blogger that I must go over and check out.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tina,
    You rocked it out with your feature. Thanks for doing this my friend. Love the pics of Sophie and Bruce. Too adorable. I am with you on a house on Coronado Island!!!! How awesome would that be. To wake up to that beauty every morning!!!!! Ohhhhhh to dream. Have a great week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris! Yes, your house on the beach would be a perfect life. :)

      Delete
  11. So, Asheville is not that far from here. Next time, CALL ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love Tina and this is a very cool feature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, It was nice to meet Tina on your feature today. She has an interesting life. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Susan,
    this is another very nice presentation of a very sympathetic blogger! Dear Tina, especially your Texas-Childhood-Descriptions sound very exciting and fascinating for me! I confess that I never created ​​portable clothes made ​​of leaves and other plant parts - I hope you nevertheless can stand me! (After all, I built wigs from the "hair" of corn cobs! ;o)) Very nice also your passion and your commitment to dogs!
    I leave dear greetings here!
    Hugs from Traude from Austria

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a pleasure to meet, Tina. What a fun gal she seems to be. I have to visit her blog soon and see what she's got going on in Texas. Hopefully, she will be wearing something other than elephant ear leaves. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Tina. She makes me laugh and her photography skills are amazing! I enjoyed learning more about her. And hey! I'm in N.C.!!! It'd be great if she moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, I love Tina Lou...sweet, funny Texas girl and her adorable dog and wildlife photos. :) Love these posts, Susan and Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tina is a gem. If you don't know her, you're truly missing out!!!!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great 'new to me' blogger you have shared here, Susan! I just love meeting new friends! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a pretty lady to post about. Thanks for sharing! I'll be visiting there after I visit your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Tina! She has such a wonderful spirit and a great sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to meet you Tina...so sorry about your thumb...hope it heals quickly and you are able to start up your business again....loved the beautiful photos!....Great feature Susan...enjoyed it as always!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Susan, I love this project that you and Kris started and am very proud to be one of the "stars" of the past. I love Tina. I have recently just met her but after seeing her bat s**t project post I am hooked. Such a great personality, not to mention, she has a whole lot of similarities to me!! Poor thing..Thanks for showcasing her..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to read you! I love all your photos, especially the ones of Bruce and Sophie :) We also have a rescue named Sofie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So lovely and interesting blogger!
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh I just loved this Tina - such a beautiful photo of you and Magoo !
    AND I'm thrilled to see " grateful " in the last photo - melted my heart
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. How lovely she is! I must make more visits to her! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!